What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Better notification system

Votes:

Why we can´t set notifications like this:

if error send notification and only send a notification after state is gone to ok.

Now we have to setup a notification for warning AND error - so we have two notifications. Also we have notifications if the state is no longer in warning or error.

So we got two notifications if a sensor goes from warning to error or from error to warning.

"sensor state warning ended (now error)" "sensor state error (before: warning)"

the warning ended ist not needed if it goes to error. We only need a notification if it goes back to OK.

notification-email sensors setup

Created on Feb 13, 2015 10:43:39 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-Post. While you do have a point (every now and then, the current system may create a notification too much), the system behind the notifications already if very complex, and we do not want to make it even more complex with fixed "target states". So there are no changes planned for this, sorry.

best regards.

Created on Feb 16, 2015 12:15:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Why don't you use Threshold triggers instead of State triggers then? There are many type of sensors that can rapidly change from warning to error and back sometimes, especially networking sensors during peak hour.

Threshold Sensors can tell you if something happened regardless of the state of the sensor itself - For example - I ahve a WMI sensor that follows the size of a certain log file - and whenever that file reaches a certain size, I get a mail - the sensor only changes to error if I lose connection with the machine or tot he file I'm monitoring - in which case but even then I don't get state change notification as I didn't set one up.

If you can tell me exactly what are you trying to configure, maybe I can help you out.

Created on Feb 18, 2015 8:29:50 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.