What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor and vMotion

Votes:

I love the VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor as it shows a lot of detail that is VM-specific. However, when a VM moves from host to host I end up getting a "Down" alert on the source host telling me the VM can't be found, and I do not see away for the destination host to monitor the VM.

I can see this being especially troubling when I do patching of my hosts, because literally every VM will move once or twice during the process. Is there an automated way of accounting for the portability of VM's with this particular sensor?

prtg vmotion vmware

Created on Feb 16, 2015 5:05:37 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

please add your vCenter Server as a device in PRTG. Then add the VMWare Virtual Machine Sensors to this device. This will ensure that migration of VMs through VMotionwill not cause miss-alarms, or show false states on the VMs.

Created on Feb 17, 2015 12:48:44 PM by  Severin Glaeser [Paessler Support] (0) 1

Votes:

Will it be possible to migrate the VM's sensory history as well, or will it all be lost?

Created on Sep 30, 2016 7:13:26 PM

Votes:

Since it's a different sensor, the history will be lost. The easiest way would be to pause the historic sensors and keep them for reporting. Then simply re-add the sensors to the device and they'll start monitoring from there on out.

Created on Oct 3, 2016 1:05:57 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.