What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

portdescription - update

Votes:

Hi

I add a cisco port (Traffic Monitor) to prtg and it has no description set. When i set the the description after that - prtg don't update the description.

When the description was set before i add it to prtg. All later description changes are updated successfully.

My workaround is that i delete the port an add it again. The problem is that the port history is lost in prtg.

description port update

Created on Feb 18, 2015 8:58:57 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

If this occurs again, could you please check if the option Port Name Update > Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device is checked in the sensor settings below the SNMP Compatibility Options of the device?

Best regards

Created on Feb 18, 2015 9:17:03 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Yes - the option was set correctly - it works fine for description changes -- but only when there was no description on the port when the port was setup initially - then prtg don't recognize the change on the description

I also switched the Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device off and on again.

Created on Feb 18, 2015 12:30:47 PM

Votes:

Hi, Could you please try to change the SNMP Compatibility Options from

Automatic to Use ifDescr or Use ifName

Created on Feb 19, 2015 1:01:01 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

I tried your suggestion and it don't worked. I deleted the port and readded it and the description was updated successfully. - sorry

Best regards

Created on Feb 23, 2015 5:57:07 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately we could not reproduce this behavior in our labs. Ports should always have a default given name and the update should be successful. I still wonder if you set no description, the IF Alias should work.

Created on Feb 23, 2015 7:21:53 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.