What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change trigger does not always work

Votes:

I have enable the change trigger on a few SNMP string variables which are monitored by a sensor. Both sensors are getting values back of the type DisplayString. It looks like the change trigger does not check all the characters of the string??? From one sensor I get the following messages back : 20min, 21min, 22min all generating triggers which is as it should be. however, once it comes to hours... 1.00hours generates a trigger 1.01hours till 1.99hours does not 2.00hours generates a trigger.... Are you only checking the first 2 characters to decide whether there was a value change?

for the other sensor which is again a string where the values are changing after a decimal point (50.8567, 50.8577,50.8533,...) I never was able to see a notification based on the "change" trigger (I am 100% sure, Trigger "change" notification is enabled...)

How can I make sure that a trigger is always generated, even if there is only one character difference?

change-trigger no-notification snmp-sensor

Created on Feb 20, 2015 3:50:40 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
this seems strange behaviour. Please allow me to forward this to our testing team. I will get back to you as soon as I know more.
Best regards

Created on Feb 25, 2015 1:18:19 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,
the described issue is a bug in PRTG. The same is fixed in the latest canary release and should be stable within the next 4 - 6 weeks.
Best regards

Created on Feb 25, 2015 7:20:49 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.