What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Amazon AWS CloudWatch Sensors

Votes:

We began utilizing PRTG for monitoring of our expanding AWS presence not too long ago. We haven't seen it run very well yet, despite the attempts we've made to adjust per advice we've received the same issues continue.

The majority of our sensors are paused due to error "could not retrieve any data. Please make sure your scanning interval is longer than the monitoring interval for this instance"

I created the cloudwatch sensor with an amazon specific interval of 10 minutes, and set the prtg default interval to 15. This seems to be in accordance with best practice.

If there are any suggestions, or if there are any who can assist, please do.

Thanks in advance, JZ

aws cloudwatch error help scanning-interval

Created on Feb 20, 2015 9:10:02 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jelyz

We are rewriting the sensor. Using this opportunity, we also change the access method.

There is no release date yet.

Created on Feb 27, 2015 12:02:15 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 27, 2015 1:34:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jelyz

If you go to the Amazon interface, can you see the AWS properties?

Created on Feb 25, 2015 2:37:03 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

you want me to see the AWS dashboard, or something on PRTG...

Created on Feb 25, 2015 7:49:23 PM

Votes:

Do you see something on the AWS board? If that is the case, please wait for our upcoming senosr improvement. We are improving the compatibility of the sensor.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 12:15:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 26, 2015 12:16:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes the AWS dashboard shows current data, graphs and sates. How much of a rewrite is this new sensor? Are we expecting only new features, or is this a complete redesign, I couldn't tell from the release notes.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 4:13:37 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jelyz

We are rewriting the sensor. Using this opportunity, we also change the access method.

There is no release date yet.

Created on Feb 27, 2015 12:02:15 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 27, 2015 1:34:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, if possible I'd appreciate knowing when it will be released. Just a reply here would be good.

Thanks!

Created on Feb 27, 2015 4:22:15 PM

Votes:

Dear Jelyz

I just spoke with the development. It will take additional time until this sensor can be released, because it depends on our GUI changes. At this moment, I guess the new sensor version will be avialable in the 16 or 17 branch. We are currently in the 14 branch (PRTG 15.1.14.xxxx)

In other words, it will take some weeks.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:04:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.