What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitors versus Sensors

Votes:

I am a bit confused. If I monitor a server, virtual or physical, do you give 5 sensors per Server or is that something MSP's that resell PRTG offer?

I am trying to understand how many sensors I truly need.

I want to get away from SolarWinds IPMonitor.

Secondly if I purchase the 500 sensor plan for $1600 US what is the yearly maintenance/upgrade costs and what is included for that price. I realize it can change over time but what is the current price.

Thanks

Doug

custom-sensor license prtg

Created on Feb 23, 2015 8:45:00 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Please have a look here to get a detailed overview of how many sensors will be required in your network. The exact number of sensors can only be found by testing the software yourself, please feel free to start a 30 day trial installation. Some servers need more sensors (like vCenter servers with a lot of VMs to monitor), where others only need a ping sensor. On average, you need about 5 to 10 sensors per server. If you buy 500 sensors they are yours forever. If you do not prolong your maintenance, the existing installation will still work but you will not be able to update PRTG anymore. A maintenance "refresh" is currently sold at about 25% of the whole license costs per year.

Created on Feb 24, 2015 9:54:25 AM by  Severin Glaeser [Paessler Support] (0) 1

Last change on Apr 3, 2015 4:59:42 PM by  Kimberley Trommler [Paessler Support] (7) 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.