What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Service sensor > Notification when status change to UP?

Votes:

Hi Guys,

I'm monitoring a windows box services with a WMI sensor and would like to get a notification; If state change to UP, then notify.

I've tried to use the "add change trigger" but that doesn't seem to be sending anything when the state of a service changes from Down to UP.

In the State-Triggers I can't select > When sensor is UP........

How can I get this done?

sensor-state trigger wmi

Created on Feb 25, 2015 10:39:47 AM

14 Replies

Votes:

Dear JD Goudsmit

This is not direclty possible with PRTG. However, you can use a down state trigger and then use the "When condition clears" trigger to get notified.

"Condition clears" is not exactly "Up", it means the sensor leaves the state which you defined in the first trigger; but it is close to what you like to do.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 12:52:05 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Arne,

Had found that and am now using that. How does one know which services work with 'Add change trigger' ?

Created on Feb 26, 2015 2:30:14 PM

Votes:

Each WMI Service sensor monitors only one service. The service name is part of the sensor name, it can also be reviewed in the settings.

If you create this sensor and check multiple services, PRTG creates one sensor for each service.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 3:05:50 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 26, 2015 3:06:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Arne,

Wasn't really what I am after.

How does one know which services work with 'Add change trigger' ?

I've tried this for WMI services on a windows host and that doesn't seem to send an email when the state of a service changes.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 3:14:03 PM

Votes:

Hello

Please open the sensor settings tab. Please enable "If Service is Restarted" / "Trigger 'change' notification".

The sensor should now trigger an according notification.

Created on Feb 27, 2015 1:56:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

I don't see that option. Only have the option: " If Service is Not Running"...(start/restart service / do nothing)

Created on Feb 27, 2015 2:12:39 PM

Votes:

Dear jdgoudsmit

To enable this setting, "If Service is not Running" "Start/Restart service" has to be selected.

Using this setting, PRTG attempts to start the service which is monitored. If you not wish PRTG restarting the monitored services, the aforementioned option is not avialalbe.

Created on Mar 2, 2015 3:37:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Arne, Still not seeing it. I've got a wmi service set to "If Service is not Running" "Start/Restart service" in the settings of the sensor, but am not seeing anywhere "If Service is Restarted" / "Trigger 'change' notification".

Created on Mar 3, 2015 8:15:45 AM

Votes:

Dear JD

it should be there:

Created on Mar 3, 2015 10:31:24 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 3, 2015 10:33:08 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, no it's not there.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 10:36:42 AM

Votes:

Which PRTG version do you use?

Created on Mar 3, 2015 1:01:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Edition: PRTG Network Monitor Unlimited Version 14.3.10.2422

Created on Mar 3, 2015 1:47:04 PM

Votes:

Please update to PRTG 15.1.14. To do this, please either use the autoupdate function, or log into your Paessler webaccount and find the commercial installer download link there.

Please inform me if you can enable the "Trigger 'change' notification" setting in the new version.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:57:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will do when we've upgraded. Thx!

Created on Mar 3, 2015 3:42:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.