What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Android PRTG App does not register push notification properly

Votes:

PRTG Network Monitor 15.1.13.1382 Latest Android PRTG App, running on Kitkat 4.4.4

PRTG App logs into my PRTG account just fine. Shows me updated data and even alerts me when warnings are set. However, it does not register for push notification. By that, I mean when I look at my account in the System Administration / Users / Me, under Notification Contacts tab, my Android does not show up. All that is there is my Primary Email Address.

To debug this further, I tried reading all of the PRTG Push documentation I could find, but no help. I even tried accessing the push registration page by the following method.

Used Chrome on my Android to login to "hostname:8080/". This got me a mobile webpage version. Then I typed in this URL "hostname:8080/api/registerpush.htm". This returned to me a 8-digit hex code. Also, under Notification Contacts for my account, an entry where the Description and Recipient fields are blank and the Type is Push appeared. This verifies that the PRTG App should be able to access this page, and that the server is set up correctly to receive Push registration.

Any ideas what might be going on? Is there some issue because my PTRG server uses a non-standard HTTP port? Perhaps the Android app is not using the port number when trying to do a Push registration?

android prtg push

Created on Feb 25, 2015 8:09:22 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Have you made sure that your PRTG server is able to access the PRTG Cloud? PRTG has to be able to reach the PRTG Cloud at https://api.prtgcloud.com:443 in order for the cloud to create a token for your phone. Also, just to make sure, when you installed the application, you went to the settings and enabled the push notifications correct?

You might also wan to try and set up the notifications on another device to see if it's specifically an issue with this one device.

Note: PRTG versions previous to 15.4.20 do not support cloud features anymore because we changed the cloud infrastructure with this version. If you run a previous PRTG version, please update your PRTG server to use push notifications and other PRTG cloud features.

Created on Mar 4, 2015 7:40:20 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 21, 2016 3:06:45 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

My PRTG server can access anything on the net and is not restricted in any way by the firewall. I tried the PRTG cloud URL you mentioned using a browser on the PTRG server itself and I got back a 404 page, proving a connection was made (I also get a 404 from my desktop at home, BTW).

I have enabled push notifications in the PRTG app on my phone.

It is clear from my experiments that it is possible for my phone to access the push registration on my PRTG server, and the mere act of accessing that page from my phone's browser produces some sort of entry in PRTG server. And the app itself has no problem accessing the PRTG server because it is returning information to me. So the problem is that the app on my phone is not accessing that registration page for some reason.

Unfortunately, I do not have another phone to try.

Created on Mar 4, 2015 6:51:57 PM

Votes:

Please contact [email protected] so we can send you a version of the app that enables debug logging.

Created on Mar 5, 2015 7:17:50 AM by  Matt Barringer [Paessler Support] (460) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.