What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Dependencies

Votes:

Dear PRTG KB,

i have 5500 sensors and i need to start configuring dependencies..

i have multiple sites that depend on only one site Example:

Russia / USA -- Paris \ London

If USA goes down, i do not want to receive emails from: Russia, Paris or London..

because then we will receive approx 600+ Emails :/

How can i accomplish this?

dependencies master-object multiple-sensors parent prtg snmp

Created on Mar 2, 2015 4:13:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just so I get this right: you configured the ping sensor of your firewall as the main object for it, right?

Let's assume you have a structure like this:

PRTG Local Probe US
|
|_Firewall [Ping] [DNS]

PRTG Remote Probe in Paris
|_Firewall [Ping] [DNS]
|_FTP [FTP] [Ping] [Filecount]

You would then right click the remote probe in Paris > Edit > Settings and set the depdency to the ping sensor of the Firewall on the local probe. When the ping goes down, all sensors of the probe will be paused. Note that you don't have monitoring data that PRTG can't ping your firewall for any reason.

I guess you would be better of to make certain services on the remote sites depend on something within your network. So the child items won't send notifications if their logical parents in the US are down.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:21:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

You can make a group depend on a certain sensor. This way, when the sensor it depends on goes down, the entire group will be paused. So let's say you have a ping sensor on your US internet connection, Russia, Paris and London won't send notifications :)

In order to set the dependency, simply go to the settings of the group and uncheck "Schedules, dependencies and maintenance window" and set "Select Object" as dependency type. Then you will be able to pick a sensor that represents the connections to the other sites - They will be paused in case of an incident.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 11:40:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Kb,

Yes i got , i made the ping sensor of the main firewall, but how can make the others depend on that??

Created on Mar 3, 2015 1:48:10 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just so I get this right: you configured the ping sensor of your firewall as the main object for it, right?

Let's assume you have a structure like this:

PRTG Local Probe US
|
|_Firewall [Ping] [DNS]

PRTG Remote Probe in Paris
|_Firewall [Ping] [DNS]
|_FTP [FTP] [Ping] [Filecount]

You would then right click the remote probe in Paris > Edit > Settings and set the depdency to the ping sensor of the Firewall on the local probe. When the ping goes down, all sensors of the probe will be paused. Note that you don't have monitoring data that PRTG can't ping your firewall for any reason.

I guess you would be better of to make certain services on the remote sites depend on something within your network. So the child items won't send notifications if their logical parents in the US are down.

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:21:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you!!!!

Created on Mar 3, 2015 2:31:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.