What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Mozilla - Javascript sensing takes to much time

Votes:

Hello,

Using Mozilla v35 with PRTG15.1.4 it takes at least 10 minutes time until PRTG will recognize JScript is enabled realy letting me use the ajax based Web GUI. If I check Mozillas JScript setting its everytime OK: about:config, search for javascript.enabled, is true allways

The reason I prefere mozilla for local web based tools is the easy way of changing proxy setting with this browser. Chrome and IE = system proxy settings are administrated by our local IT where I have no influence.

thx for hints in advance, Steffen

browser-sensing jscript mozilla

Created on Mar 5, 2015 10:27:43 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
could you please call the URL /speedtest.htm on your PRTG installation. What are the results?

Created on Mar 10, 2015 2:46:54 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Average Page Load Time: 183 ms, Slowest 307 ms, Fastest 94 ms (74 %)

Created on Mar 10, 2015 5:37:35 PM

Votes:

Hi,
Thank you for the information. Are you actively using a Proxy when accessing PRTG? If so, could you perform a test with/without proxy? Does that make any difference?

Created on Mar 12, 2015 2:28:26 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I feel my performance of the Web Frontend is also very bad, so I ran /speedtest as well:

Average Page Load Time: 1592 ms, Slowest 34587 ms, Fastest 45 ms (100 %)

Especially slow are 19, 20, 29, 18, 22, 17

Even if I run the speedtest locally on the Core Server I get this: Average Page Load Time: 1355 ms, Slowest 29044 ms, Fastest 27 ms (100 %)

Are there any particular things you can recommend by checking these particular slow results? Other than https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/2733-how-can-i-speed-up-prtgespecially-for-large-installations

We're currently using 8000 Sensors. 1 Core server with 5 remote probes.

Would it make huge difference if we move the sensors (900) from our Core Server to a seperate probe?

Kind Regards Lars

Created on Mar 12, 2015 3:18:05 PM

Votes:

Hi,
in general more remote probes are better. :) So, yes every sensor distributed away from the core would be good in your case. You also can open up a support ticket to have us a look at the logs.
Best regards

Created on Mar 13, 2015 1:43:49 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I was out of office couple of days. To clearify the problem again and to answer the questions in between:

1. Im very glad about the PRTG-GUI-performance after Im able to can login with Ajax Interface

2. The problem is about explicitly the more than 10 minutes it takes that PRTG checks Java Script is enabled using Mozilla as a prerequisite to can use the AJAX interface

3. with Mozilla and foxy-proxy-plugin I can call PRTG directly without a proxy because this is the only browser not mis-designed regarding proxy flexibility as none admin user. With a proxy configured browser the PRTG GUI does NOT work as long the proxy does not redirect to PRTG.

Steffen

Created on Mar 16, 2015 10:33:53 PM

Votes:

Dear Steffen

Configuring a proxy for the PRTG webinterface is outside the scope of our technical support. Please try to use another browser and/or another proxy.

If you experience issues to get PRTG's webinterface working even when you access it directly (without proxy) please contact us again. You can also contact us directly via [email protected]

Created on Mar 18, 2015 4:14:07 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I use PRTG directly without a Proxy but strictly forced to must use Mozilla, because with all other browsers proxy = system setttings, without admin rights ...

Created on Mar 31, 2015 1:56:23 PM

Votes:

Please forward a Support Bundle via the Contact Support ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface. We need to have a look at your log files to see if there are any irregularities.

Best regards

Created on Apr 2, 2015 12:21:52 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.