What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problems with SSH Sensor to monitor HP P2000

Votes:

Since more or less the last two versions from end february and march I determine some Problems to monitor my HP P2000 Storage via SSH Sensor. Befor this Version it was run successful. Since the last to versions i got periodically errors the following errors :

SSH SAN Enclosure (Sensor) : SSHBase TOctCheckSSHSANEnclosure.ParseXML threw exception

SSH SAN Logical Disk (Sensor) : Wrong Data Format (code: PE216)

I'm login via ssh via Login and Password (WBEM Use Protocol: https with Ports 5988 or 5989) SSH Port 22 Run the command as the user connecting (default)

The test happens every hour and I did not change any configuration on P2000 Storage.

Does somebody have some recommendations or similar Problems with HP P2000 ?

thanks for any answers Thomas

hp p2000 prtg ssh

Created on Mar 12, 2015 7:46:13 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG version 15.1.15.2021/2022 comes with several stability improvements for SSH SAN sensors to avoid such errors. Please update PRTG if you run an older version.

Created on Apr 16, 2015 1:22:36 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

What interval are you using for this sensors? Could you try something like 15 minutes? Also, increase the connection timeout to 90 seconds and the shell timeout to 15 seconds (within the sensor settings).

Created on Mar 13, 2015 2:04:08 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Thx for your anwser. The interval is 60 minutes . The connection timeout was 60 sec and the shell timeout was 5 sec. I also tried now with connection timeout 90 sec an shell timeout 15 sec but still with the same issue or error message Wrong Data Format (code: PE216)

Created on Mar 16, 2015 9:36:02 AM

Votes:

Hello

Can you please try restarting the SSH Controller on the SAN(s)? Please also add the ssh sensor anew.

Created on Mar 18, 2015 6:53:11 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Hi

Same problem here on an MSA2040. Periodically errors such as:

SSHBase Structural error in xml file

Falsches Datenformat / Wrong Data Format (Code: PE216)

SSHBase TOctCheckSSHSANEnclosure.ParseXML threw exception

Roman

(PRTG: 15.1.14.1710+)

Created on Mar 19, 2015 11:41:30 PM

Votes:

Dear Roman

Please open the sensor settings and enable the setting "Write result to disk". When the sensor is in error state, please copy the file and send it to [email protected] for analysis.

Created on Mar 20, 2015 5:42:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi, simliar problems here. Changing timeout settings doesn't make any difference. Readding sensors two. These happens on 2 monitored arrays. One is P2000 SAS, one is P2000 iSCSI, both G3. These errors are random. No particular pattern. Sometimes they work ok for a day or two, sometimes not. In general we find P2000 ssh sensors unreliable.

examples: SSHBase TOctCheckSSHSANEnclosure.ParseXML threw exception

SSHBase Junk after document element </RESPONSE>

Wrong Data Format (code: PE216)

Kind regards Marek

Created on Mar 23, 2015 10:35:47 AM

Votes:

Dear Igmodo

We also need an example result when the sensor is in error state to investigate further.

Created on Mar 23, 2015 11:54:09 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG version 15.1.15.2021/2022 comes with several stability improvements for SSH SAN sensors to avoid such errors. Please update PRTG if you run an older version.

Created on Apr 16, 2015 1:22:36 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have upgraded to PRTG version 15.1.15.2021/2022, I changed the timeouts. Now I am in a warning state instead of error, but I am still getting the wrong data format error. I am also using an HP P2000.

Created on May 13, 2015 2:43:55 PM

Votes:

Dear abettig

Please open the sensor settings and enable the setting "Write result to disk". When the sensor is in error state, please copy the file and send it to [email protected] for analysis.

Please also allow me to ask if you actually updated to the by now outdated 15.1.15 version, or if you updated to the current 15.2.16 version of PRTG. For log file analysis, it is important that we get the files of a recently released PRTG version.

Created on May 14, 2015 9:37:36 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.