What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Push notifications without first time device connection

Votes:

I was reading your article on built in PUSH notifications in PRTG.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/62367-how-does-the-prtg-cloud-deliver-push-notifications

I see that step 1 of the configuration is a one time connection to the PRTG Core Server. Is there a way that we can that we can manually request the GCM (android) API key for each device, and manually upload that into the PRTG Server Core without allowing the mobile devices to connect to the server itself?

In short I need a way to register a device for PUSH notifications without connecting to the PRTG Server directly.

android ios prtg push

Created on Mar 12, 2015 3:56:40 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The tokens that the apps get from their respective platform cloud services can and do expire under different circumstances - Apple push tokens expire very infrequently, but Windows Phone tokens expire at least every 30 days, and tokens on Android can potentially expire every time a new version of the app is installed or the phone is restarted.

So unfortunately it's not possible to add the tokens by hand - the apps need to be able to connect to the PRTG server in order for push notifications to be reliable.

Created on Mar 16, 2015 9:26:49 AM by  Matt Barringer [Paessler Support] (460) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.