What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Sensor - RPC server is unavailable

Votes:

I've setup a device with 6 sensors (Ping, CPU, memory, disk free, network, uptime). 4 of the 6 sensors work except disk free and memory which both report "Connection could not be established (800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable". Windows firewall is turned off. DCOM and WMI permissions are set.

I'm at a loss. Please help.

PRTG version 15.1.13.1455

800706ba rpc wmi-sensors

Created on Mar 18, 2015 8:47:00 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is an inter-process communication technique to allow client and server software to communicate on a network. The client (PRTG Probe) makes a procedure call that appears to be local but is actually run on a remote computer.

In your case the RPC server on the remote computer is not responding.

There can be several reasons for this and googeling 'the rpc server is unavailable' will give you a lot of hits.

Here is a good starting point: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4494.windows-server-troubleshooting-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable.aspx

Created on Mar 19, 2015 11:48:04 AM

Votes:

Good day everybody

We have version 15.3.18.3616. We have exactly the same error. Of the 5 sensors work 3 and the memory and disk sensor does not work. I'm assuming that the WMI process works. Likewise, the access permissions are correct, since 3 sensors (CPU, PageFile and Uptime) function. Was a solution found for the behavior?

Thank you very much

With kind regards Peter Hürzeler MST Service Center

Created on Jul 21, 2017 9:59:28 AM

Votes:

Hello Peter,

You might consider checking the link above or the problem solving approaches in this article:
What are the most common errors when monitoring WMI?

Please note that WMI has been one of the biggest components of PRTG that has been improved and updated over the past years, as you can see in our Release Notes. That's why we can't offer software support for WMI issues for version 15.3 which is now roughly two years old.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 21, 2017 12:25:59 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just finished installing a new Windows 10 workstation and added it to our PRTG system.. This workstation is joined to the domain and has the domain firewall enabled.

In order to get the WMI Free Disk Space sensor to work, I had to enable the Windows Remote Management firewall rule.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Created on Jun 24, 2020 12:12:20 PM

Votes:

Hi all, in case of ADDS environment, first step, check time sync between DC and PRTG server, and suggested, if exists more than one DC, check the time sync on each DC. In my case of message returned in PRTG WMI Tester, "The RPC Server is unavailable", i reviewed any details of DCOM; WMI connection; Windows Credentials configured in PRTG server. And in last shoot, i've observed that in the PRTG server has a clock differ than DC. In PRTG server, i run CMD as admin and exec net time
DC /set /yes And gpupdate /force (all results is fine) And the WMI query for PRTG server execs sucessfully!!

Created on Jun 27, 2022 3:46:27 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.