What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VBS script not running when testing notification

Votes:

Basically, i have made a vb script that when running will send a SMS to my cellphone with a given message trought a 3rd party software (SMS Control Center), now i created a new notification and set it to run a program (my script). When i just simply want to test it and press the test button, nothing happends. When i run the script myself everything works perfectly, but as soon as i try to run it from PRTG it does nothing. The script itself doesn't have to start up any new programs. the 3rd party software is already running.

This is the script im running:

Dim oApp

Set oApp = createobject("SmsCenter.Application")

oApp.SendSMS "+3241414285458", "test", false

Set oApp = Nothing

I have also noticed when i try to test a notification with a simple batch file, nothing happends aswell. 

@echo off
pause

So it just feels like PRTG doesnt want to run any scripts, altough when i check the logs it says

Status sending EXE:Ok

I hope anyone can help me with this, cause i'm using this for my senior year project in school and been stuck on this for a while now.

execute-program prtg script vbscript

Created on Mar 22, 2015 9:32:10 PM

Last change on Mar 23, 2015 8:18:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Please note that PRTG runs as a service and therefor cannot interact with the desktop.

This explains why your batch file output with the pause command is not shown and might also explain why your sms notification does not work.

Created on Mar 23, 2015 8:51:01 AM

Votes:

Any possible solutions to this? or alternative options?

Created on Mar 23, 2015 10:03:52 AM

Votes:

If the notification has to interact with the desktop, in other words it produces some kind of user interface like a desktop window, you can have a look at PTF.Launcher.

Note: For the launcher application to work, a user must always be logged into the computer running the launcher application. (the desktop needs to be active)

Created on Mar 23, 2015 10:16:49 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.