What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU Load Sensor

Votes:

Hi, I'm doing a test installation for implementing a new monitoring tool for this company. What i'm trying todo is configuring the CPU Load Sensor with the condition: If the cpu load of the machine is higher then 90% for 5 min it should trigger an alarm. I cant find how to do this. What i've found is to configure a notification (state trigger), but then i'm only able to send an notification (email or ticket) but we want to have an alarm only if the CPU is 90% for lets say 5min. Is this even possible?

alarm cpu-load wmi

Created on Mar 24, 2015 3:28:05 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Using limits, you can set the sensor to a Warning state when the load is over 90%

Next, add a state trigger, and set:

When sensor state is Warning for at least xx seconds perform ....

Created on Mar 25, 2015 1:05:33 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the reply!

do you mean to set a notification state trigger?

there i dont have the option to set the senor to a down state

only options i do have is:

..... seconds perform: NO Notification Email and push notification to admin Email to all members of group PRTG User Group Ticket Notification

maybe my question wasnt clear but i want the state of the sensor to be down

Created on Mar 25, 2015 2:22:28 PM

Votes:

First you need to set limits to set the sensor to Warning or Down when the load goes over 90%

Using a state trigger you can define what has to be done when the sensor enters a new state (Warning or Down). Here you can, for example, send an email when the sensor is down for more then 300 seconds.

Created on Mar 25, 2015 3:09:55 PM

Votes:

I have setup a warning when the sensor reach the limit of 90% and i also have setup the state trigger but this doesnt solve my problem. I want the sensor to be in a error state (not an email), only when it stays above 90% for 300 seconds.

Created on Mar 26, 2015 7:57:52 AM

Votes:

I don't think that can be done 'out of the box', this might require writing a Custom Sensor.

Created on Mar 26, 2015 10:16:14 AM

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 7:34:35 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You can set the sensor to error (so it will go red and alarm), but for CPU sensors I don't set state triggers, I use threshold triggers. So if the CPU load channel goes over a set % for at least a set time, it triggers an SMS alert to key team members.

Created on Mar 27, 2015 6:36:19 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.