What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I set a sensor to fail if it doesn't receive a success?

Votes:

I'm using PRTG to monitor a large selections of servers, mainly for backups (Symantec System Recovery primarily).

I'm testing WMI and SNMP sensors at the moment and can successfully receive the backup job status messages from each of these. However I don't want to rely on jobs reporting failures.

With the IMAP sensor you can set the status to down if it doesn't see a success message. Due to limitations to the number of concurrent connections to the mail server, switching to this doesn't seem possible.

Can "Set status to down if no success in X hours" be set on any other sensors?

Greg

backup-monitoring backups imap-sensor prtg snmp snmp-sensor wmi

Created on Mar 25, 2015 9:38:52 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Greg,

Sorry, That's not possible. You can only set the sensor to go down after 5 scans with a "down" result and stay in a warning state until then (located in the sensors scanning interval settings).

Aside from that, such a configuration is not really possible :(

Created on Mar 27, 2015 2:09:20 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's very disappointing - is there a feature request form somewhere I can add this to?

I can't rely on something that has failed reporting its own failure (been stung in the past with this).

For example if something blocked SNMP messages from reaching the sensor it would still show a happy green sensor no matter what else was happening - a terrible place to be with backups!

---

As IMAP is the only sensor that can offer this, is there a way of setting it so it only accesses the mailbox once rather than once per sensor? Last time I saw this tested it would just lockout the email account if used with a large number of separate sites. (Exchange 365 limiting connections)

Thanks again, Greg

Created on Mar 27, 2015 2:36:20 PM

Votes:

The mail sensor doesn't have such a feature, it's rather a sensor specific filter that only checks mails that are [n] hours old. You could only work with higher intervals here I guess :/

edit I'll flag the thread as feature request if you don't mind :) If enough people want such a feature (collect mail requests and check them with a single connection), it will probably be considered for future development.

Thanks for your input!

Created on Mar 30, 2015 7:57:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 30, 2015 8:02:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, it would be good to see if anyone else has similar thoughts.

Admittedly my preference would be to continue to use SNMP but if we can use an Office 365 mailbox for this without it being locked out by the connections, it wouldn't be a bad alternative.

Greg.

Created on Mar 30, 2015 8:12:10 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.