What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cannot add WMI Network Card sensor after migrating installation

Votes:

I have migrated my PRTG installation to a new server at a different IP address. Mostly, I use the Netflow functionality to monitor network usage and identify peak periods. However, I also do want to be able to monitor the actual network interface on the server.

On the old server it worked fine, but on the new server, while the sensor was still there, it obviously did not work because it could not detect the same network card. I deleted the sensor and tried to add a new one. Upon doing so I receive the following error:

"Sorry, the scan for available monitoring items has failed! Error Message Failed to find valid network cards. Interface names ['Broadcom NetLink [TM] Gigabit Ethernet','Broadcom NetLink [TM] Gigabit Ethernet _2',isatap.<1ED2B332-2031-440D-8ED9-6AFCE9DCD4EE>,'Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface',isatap.<6DA43504-8947-472B-B4B2-3B3631073FA1>] WMI Table [Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_NetworkInterface] Sensor Type Windows Network Card Device Probe Device (127.0.0.1)"

Based on another post which has not yet had a response from the user, I executed the following commands using the WMI Tester:

SELECT Description, IPAddress, MACAddress FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration (shows all of the adapters-including pseudo adapters-including the one I wish to add a sensor for.)

SELECT Name, BytesTotalPerSec FROM Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_NetworkAdapter ("Error 80041010: The specified class is not valid.")

SELECT Name, BytesTotalPersec FROM Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_NetworkInterface (Shows an integer value for each network interface)

OS: Windows Server 2008 R2, patched to current, .NET Framework 4.5.2 installed Hardware: dual Broadcom Gigabit Extreme network adapters on Atom-based 1U server chassis

network wmi wmi-sensors

Created on Apr 6, 2015 4:44:41 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

This is a bug we're aware of and it should be fixed in a future release of PRTG. Please check release notes regularly so you don't miss the bugfix :)

Created on Apr 6, 2015 9:36:40 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.