What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reset inheritance of specific parameter

Votes:

Hi,

someone (I guess trying to help) has played around with the geo location of several devices, instead of inheriting the actual adress of the dependancy from the probe some devices now break inheritance and contain information about where they are located within that dependency. Which of course leads to wildly scattered sensors all over the world ...

Is there a way to enforce a reset of inheritance of one specific parameter?

For example I'd like to go like 'Okay, so from this level downwards (say: probe) I want to reset a specific paramter (say: geo location) back to inherit from above'.

That would be extremely neat, I could not find anything though.

A "global" reset would be too much btw since inheritance has to be broken on several levels, for example fro SNMP defaults and such. So resetting only a specific parameter would be glorious ...

Thank you!

break inheritance reset

Created on Apr 8, 2015 8:14:34 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

can you search for the affected groups or devices based on the name/tag or similar? Cause then, if you select all the found objects, you can bulk edit and reset the inheritance of the location via the bulk change of sensor/group/device settings.

Created on Apr 9, 2015 10:48:40 AM

Votes:

Hi,

that's a great tip - I didn't consider bulk edit for this! I cannot specify by name or tag, but a /devices.htm?id=xxxx call for every remote probe does the trick, that I way I can bulk edit all devices under that probe and reset location to inherit from the probe device.

Thanks! :)

Created on Apr 9, 2015 11:38:36 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.