What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

finding the sensor of the problematic interface

Votes:

Hi, I have a switch with about 250 interfaces. I can see that the switch uplink ports were very utilized a month ago, and I would like to pin point the server interface that caused this load.

what is the best way for me to do that with PRTG?

bandwidth-utilization cisco interface traffic

Created on Apr 8, 2015 9:50:54 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I would recommend either: - a report of all the 250 sensors of the specific timeframe, then you can browse through the graphs visually. - if it was "enough" to raise a visible peak in the graph, you could just open the device in PRTG, click on the 30 days or other interval and check those graphs for suspicious peaks. - if you have unusual detection active, you could search the logs in the timeframe of the incident for the specific interface: Logs -> Status Changes -> Unusual and then filter for the timeframe. (not sure since which version this is available)

Created on Apr 9, 2015 9:11:03 AM

Votes:

Another source of information is the Similar Sensor Analysis. Make sure this is enabled. It will go through already recorded historic data, and then show sensors with similar value-"curves" in the same time on the "Overview"-Page of a sensor.

Created on Apr 10, 2015 11:38:51 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.