What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Step by step tutorials

Votes:

I am new to the features of PRTG and I would like to have step by step to add probes for my servers remotely regarding network monitoring in general. Specifically which IP's are needed, private or public in order to add those to devices. Any instructions would be really appreciated.

instructions network-tutorial remote-desktop

Created on Apr 9, 2015 3:17:42 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

are you aware of the Videos Section on the main page? https://www.paessler.com/support/videos

Did you find anything helpful? Of course it will not tell you about the IPs to use and such, as those are solely relying on your network but there are quite helpful to get a good start.

But nevertheless, you should also think at first of what you really would like to monitor. If you monitor too much, you harm the network more than you do good with the monitoring.. ;)

What type of devices would you like to monitor? / Are in your scope of work?

Created on Apr 9, 2015 3:46:37 PM

Votes:

thank you for your reply. Yes I am aware of the videos presented, they are really interesting and useful but I do would like to know what I have expressed before regarding IP's that needed to be on each device, if private or public...Also if Ping at the device front is disabled is there a feature that can monitor the uptime of the server besides ping. I am not running much on those servers but only RF frequency and raw data/encryption so my intention is mostly network up-time, bandwidth, and any other suggestions you might have. Thank you RV

Created on Apr 10, 2015 4:39:09 PM

Votes:

The probes can be connected to the core server through the internet. You will need the public IP-adres from your core server. PRTG probes use the default 23560 port. So you will also need to make sure this port will be allowed through the firewall. Might be handy to (temporarily) allow remote locations to connect through https to your core server, so you can download the probe package.

In the administration tool on your core server you can enable and change the options to allow probes connecting to your core server. there you can specify the key to authenticate the probe to the core server.

when you downloaded and installed the probe, you enter the public ip-address of your core server and the key you made so it can connect to the core.

When you connected the probe to the core server you can use the private IP-addresses to add your remote devices on the core. After which you can happily start adding sensors.

- Edit About the ping sensor. There are also standard SNMP sensors which measures the system uptime. You should look through the possibilities all these sensors have. But i know for a fact that there are many possibilities to accomplish what you are looking for. Regards

Created on Apr 14, 2015 9:02:39 AM

Last change on Apr 14, 2015 9:43:22 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.