What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do device templates propagate limits?

Votes:

I created a device with an SNMP CPU sensor and then added a limit to the first Processor channel. Using that device, I created a device template. When I discover another device with that template, the new device doesn't have the limit on Processor 1.

From what I've read on the KB, it sounds like the discovered device should have a limit set. Am I mistaken?

auto-discovery snmp template

Created on Apr 10, 2015 6:36:31 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

There is an exception for sensors which require a meta scan like for example SNMP Traffic Sensors and CPU Sensors. This meta scan is required to add all available channels, in this case all available CPU Cores, to the sensor.

I recommend to use the multi-edit feature to change the thresholds settings for this sensor type afterwards.

Best regards

Created on Apr 14, 2015 1:29:10 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.