What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Control an interface using snmp

Votes:

Is it possible to control an interface (I.E. disable it) if the interface receives too much data in one go? I.E. typical data stream (multicast data) is 10Kbps - but if it exceeds that, I want the interface to disable immediately.

class-map netflow policy-map prtg snmp tracking

Created on Apr 12, 2015 5:44:52 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Using limits, you can trigger a notification when a treshold exceeds. See also the Paessler website: How to set up notifications via the PRTG web interface.

The notification can be a .exe like snmptrapgen. SnmpTrapGen is a command-line tool allowing you to send SNMP traps to a device.

Created on Apr 13, 2015 2:00:17 PM

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 11:27:38 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Hi,

you could do it via notifications. As a notification you can run a script for example which will use snmp or ssh to disable the interface. But you would somehow need to reference the interface somehow, so I think this is not a really good solution.

If you want to control just broadcast/multicast traffic, many switches/routers support a rate-limiting feature which can be used for those traffic types. This also has the advantage, that you still can use the regular unicast traffic..

Created on Apr 14, 2015 7:21:12 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.