What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Log File Integrity

Votes:

Hi I am looking to use PRTG in a very small PCI environment and wondered if the software itself can provide any means of log file integrity and alerting or if I need to invest further in a proper FIM product to meet this requirement in PCI. Any helpful information on this area would be gratefully received as PCI is slowly becoming a headache to provision for.

fim pci prtg

Created on Apr 13, 2015 9:18:51 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear twazok

Please specify in which sense do you like to monitor log file integrity. PRTG itself can check for a string in a log; this might not be enough to determine the integrity.

Created on Apr 14, 2015 12:43:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry if I wasn't clear

I intend using PRTG to store syslog messages obtained from various network equipment. As part of PCI you need to ensure that the logs storing this data is protected and monitored for modification. In other words I need to make sure something watches PRTG's log files and makes sure they are not edited or cleared by an outside process - therefore ensuring there integrity. I was hoping that PRTG could possibly monitor its own log files in this way?

Created on Apr 15, 2015 10:39:43 AM

Votes:

Dear twazok

I am sorry, this is outside the scope of PRTG. PRTG adds text lines to the logs, without checks if another application made any changes.

Created on Apr 15, 2015 10:54:06 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.