What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Sensor Issues

Votes:

I am still trying the free version of PRTG to see if it fits my needs. The issue I am having is the sensors are constantly disconnecting and sending out alerts. Constantly on my servers PRTG reports:

"The host's WMI system is returning invalid data: in class Win32_LogicalDisk - c: FreeSpace c: Size d: FreeSpace d: Size e: FreeSpace e: Size (PE098)"

I have tried searching online and yet to find anything that solves this issue.

freespace sensor wmi

Created on Apr 13, 2015 1:53:22 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Please try to use the WMI Tester from your PRTG Server against the target device while the sensor is not able to retrieve data. Please choose the correct query from the following KB-Guide Which WQL queries are used by PRTG's WMI sensors? (see "Free Disk Space (Multi Drive)").

You might also consider to switch to the SNMP protocol, please have a look at This List for all native SNMP sensors of PRTG.

Best regards

Created on Apr 15, 2015 11:24:32 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 13, 2015 2:12:12 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have tried the WMI Tester and it gives mixed results, I am switching my sensors for CPU and Disk Space to SNMP for these servers and see if that is more reliable. thanks for the tip.

Created on Apr 15, 2015 1:00:37 PM

Votes:

I also encountered the same problem. After reviewing the warning I checked the drive referenced in the warning and turns out it was bad thats why the monitor could'nt reach it. So as workaround I added each drive individually as opposed to monitor ALL drives option and this worked.

Created on May 7, 2015 8:07:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.