What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Updates Status (Powershell) not working

Votes:

I have set up a Windows Updates Status (Powershell) sensor but not working. The remote Powershell between PRTG server and the target server is fine as below:

PS C:\Windows\system32> invoke-command -computername famed01 {get-UICulture} -credential famed01\admin
LCID             Name             DisplayName                                PSComputerName \\
----             ----             -----------                                -------------- \\
1033             en-US            English (United States)                    famed01

Since the servers in not under a same domain. Is it using HTTPS Transport is a must?

This is the error message from the sensor:

Last Message:

Connecting to remote server famed01.lxxd.xxx.hk failed with the following error message : WinRM cannot process the request. The following error with errorcode 0x80090311 occurred while using Kerberos authentication: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. Possible causes are: -The user name or password specified are invalid. -Kerberos is used when no authentication method and no user name are specified. -Kerberos accepts domain user names, but not local user names. -The Service Principal Name (SPN) for the remote computer name and port does not exist. -The client and remote computers are in different domains and there is no trust between the two domains. After checking for the above issues, try the following: -Check the Event Viewer for events related to authentication. -Change the authentication method; add the destination computer to the WinRM TrustedHosts configuration setting or use HTTPS transport. Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. -For more information about WinRM configuration, run the following command: winrm help config. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

https kerberos powershell

Created on Apr 16, 2015 4:21:33 AM

Last change on Oct 3, 2016 12:02:16 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

this sounds a bit like the same issue here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/63936-custom-sensor:-get-process-with-powershell

Please check if with the correct credentials it's working (see answer no.1).

Created on Apr 16, 2015 4:57:14 PM

Votes:

Often Remote Powershell across domains is very tricky. It may be necessary to deploy a Remote Probe into the target domain. And then use the sensor under this new Remote Probe.

Created on Apr 16, 2015 6:34:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Have you checked if the port 5985 it's open between two servers?

I have the same problem and i read in an article that this port is must be open.

Please, tell me if this it is ok and if resolve your problem.

Best Regards

Elvira

Created on Apr 20, 2015 9:53:24 AM

Votes:

Wanted to post my findings on this as it took hours to figure out. I was able to make this sensor work cross-domain.

You have to format your windows credentials a little different in the settings for the sensor.

Instead of formatting it with domain\username as you would for most sensors, clear out the domain field, and in the username field format it like: username@domain

Hope this is helpful, thanks

Created on Oct 31, 2017 6:25:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.