What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IMAP Sensor not detecting email subject

Votes:

Hi,

I am using the IMAP Sensor to detect Error, Information and warning from the subject.

An example email would have the subject [Error] or [Information] or [Warning].

I have the 'identify by "Subject" Field' set to '[Information]' for success, '[Error]' for error and '[Warning]' for warning.

But the only message I am getting is 'There is no email that matches the filters'.

We have 100's of these sensors setup which are monitoring jobs fine, but these ones I can't figure out.

imap prtg subject

Created on Apr 17, 2015 4:04:09 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Craig

The first thing to check would be the check the Warning and Error threshold. If it is set to 6 hours while no email of that maximum age fits the filter, the sensor switches its state with that message.

Created on Apr 21, 2015 12:28:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Here is my current setting on this sensor.

- Process mail in mailbox (inbox)
- Check string contains ([Information])
- Warning Threshold (6)
- Error Threshold (6)
- Set to error if subject contains ([Error])
- Set to warning if subject contains ([Warning])

Example subject taken from actual email '[Warning] state reported.'

Created on Apr 21, 2015 1:20:55 PM

Last change on Apr 21, 2015 3:28:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Craig

How many items (emails) are in the inbox? Do you access that email server by other applications as well, possibly with a webinterface?

Created on Apr 21, 2015 6:42:29 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, I do have access. Currently the mailbox gets 1 new email a day from the backup software. Right now the mailbox has 10 messages all with the subject '[Warning] state reported.'

None have been read.

Created on Apr 22, 2015 2:03:09 PM

Votes:

Dear Craig

Since we need screenshots for a deeper look, please contact us by [email protected] Please describe the sensor issue, and include screenshots of the sensor overview page and the sensor device settings.

Created on Apr 23, 2015 9:48:05 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have done as you requested and supported it to [email protected].

Thank you,

Craig

Created on Apr 23, 2015 10:14:40 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.