What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with DNS / IP discovery

Votes:

We are using machines that all the time changing IP's. Let's say machines down for 3 days and IP are leased to some other machine. Of course it cause the problem monitoring that machine because you're already monitoring "oher machine" with different hostname. But in DNS it's still not refresh itself with new IP. I shared machines between 2 OU's . Configured each OU for auto discovery weekly .I tried 2 methods DNS/WMI/SNMP and IP (Reverse lookup). The problem is if the DNS is not consistent it will be problem to find real IP of the system not matter which one of 2 discovery methods I using. If someone facing same problem ? What the best way to configure auto discovery groups in such scenario? What stands for SNMP discovery for Windows systems , is that just another way to monitor like WMI ?

Please advice

auto-discovery dns-resolution prtg

Created on Apr 21, 2015 12:03:08 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear jenia

PRTG relies on fix IPs or a DNS which is up-to-date all the time. I am sorry, you cannot use the PRTG autodiscovery in a meaningful way, when your IPs change all the time and when the DNS is not up-to-date.

Created on Apr 22, 2015 1:27:27 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.