What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I create a tag for all devices or sensors in a group?

Votes:

I'd like to create a report for a variety of sensors, but the sensors do not (yet) have a common tag that I can search for. I've tried creating a tag for a parent group, but the tag is not inherited by its children. Is there a way to do this?

inheritance sensors tags

Created on Apr 21, 2015 3:53:32 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Which version are you running? For me on 15.1.15.2022+ it's working fine. I have this setup.

Location-Group -> Device-Type-Group -> Device -> Sensors of Device

I set the location-group tag to a certain city for example. This then is inherrited by the parent tags down to the Sensors.

The issue is, that the standard search seems to be not searching for parent tags. There are some ways to overcome this I think:

1. Use Menu: Sensors -> By Tag (this shows Sensors only obviously) /sensors.htm?filter_tags=@tag(your-tag)
  2. Use Libraries
  3. Use TablesWithStyles.htm -> /tablewithstyles.htm?filter_tags=@tag(your-tag) (you can change the columns, ordering etc. using variables in the URL)

KR Lars

Created on Apr 22, 2015 9:58:17 AM

Votes:

Tags are inherited by child objects like sensors, if the tags are defined on a device or group. The inherited tags are not displayed on the "Settings"-Tab of the according sensor though.

Created on Apr 22, 2015 11:31:33 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ah. I think upgrading to 15.1 was the key. I was still on version 14, and I couldn't see the "parent tags" field. After upgrading to 15.1 the field is there, already populated with the parent tag I had added in 14 but couldn't see. Thanks!

Created on Apr 22, 2015 7:45:33 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.