What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Download and Upload Totals by Device

Votes:

Hi, I am greatly considering using your software I just have a couple questions

I have tried to figure this out based on the resources provided on this site but the complexity and extensive functions of the product are a little beyond my level of understanding at this point. Right now I have an Asus RT-N66U router and about 20 devices utilizing it but the issue is that my ISP has a total download/upload cap and it is consistently being exceeded. I would like to identify the largest users so I can either increase the package or figure out away to reduce the use of those users. I have figured out how to mirror the router to a port. I was thinking I would mirror it to a desktop (which has lots of ram and good hardware but is not a dedicated server) and then use PRTG Network Monitor to view the usage by device. What is the best way to view total usage (not speed) by device? Would this process be capable of running in the background or while the computer is under typical use or while logged off? Do I need a dedicated server instead?

Thanks So Much!

Jesse

custom-sensor device download isp-cap mirror prtg router sensor total-bandwidth upload

Created on Apr 21, 2015 5:57:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

you can for example do this with

KR Lars

Created on Apr 22, 2015 9:06:40 AM

Last change on Apr 22, 2015 9:49:32 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.