What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG - free version - multiple subnets

Votes:

I have a main site and a backup site - physically remote locations. There is a site-to-site VPN between them. The hosts at either site are HyperV running a few VM's. Each site has a unique Public IP and also each site has multiple subnets and the subnets at the two sites are also not necessarily identical. Ultimately however there are only three or four VM's involved in the whole scenario with the backup site having 'dormant' Windows HyperV Replica VM's of the main sites running VM's - they are not running, they are merely Replica copies that could be called into action if there was a failure at the main site. Would I be able to use the free version of PRTG in this situation to monitor the host and the running VM's at the main site and only the host at the backup site? Or is it the fact that because different IP's/subnets are involved I would need the paid version?

distinct-public-ip-s free-version multiple-physical-sites multiple-subnets

Created on Apr 26, 2015 3:39:27 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

That should work just fine. The freeware is only limited sensor wise - but 100 sensors should be rather sufficient for monitoring that scenario :)

Created on Apr 28, 2015 12:34:26 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.