What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor file on FTP server?

Votes:

Does anyone know if it's possible to monitor files their modified date stamp on an FTP server with PRTG?

Thanks

date files ftp modified

Created on May 4, 2015 11:38:56 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Antony,

I have put something together that might be what you are looking for.

PTF.FTPFileTime

This sensor reads the last modified date of a file on a FTP server and returns the age in minutes compared to the time of the Local Probe.

Parameters:

-url= The url of the file to check (e.g. -url=ftp://myserver/myfolder/myfile.xml)
-u=   Optional, Username for the FTP login. 
-p=   Optional, Password or PassHash * for the FTP login. 
-ssl  Optional switch to establish a secure connection (only Explicit-SSL is supported)

The sensor can be downloaded from http://prtgtoolsfamily.com/downloads/sensors

Created on May 5, 2015 12:46:52 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi Antony,

You can setup the FTP Server File Count Sensor to count only new files

This way you can get notified if one of the files changes.

Created on May 4, 2015 1:21:13 PM

Votes:

Thanks but that's not really what I'm looking for.

I need to monitor the file (.xml) on an FTP server it's modified date. If there is a difference of x minutes with the local (prtg) server time, it should send a notification.

think that's possible?

Another option would be reading the content of the XML file as the time stamp is included in the xml file as wel.

Created on May 4, 2015 2:16:04 PM

Votes:

I would go for the first option as the second one would require downloading the fille on every sensor scan.

This can be done with a Custom Sensor that retreives the file date and retuns the time difference with the probe in minutes. Using limits you can set the sensor to a down state and trigger a notification.

Created on May 4, 2015 2:59:55 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Antony,

I have put something together that might be what you are looking for.

PTF.FTPFileTime

This sensor reads the last modified date of a file on a FTP server and returns the age in minutes compared to the time of the Local Probe.

Parameters:

-url= The url of the file to check (e.g. -url=ftp://myserver/myfolder/myfile.xml)
-u=   Optional, Username for the FTP login. 
-p=   Optional, Password or PassHash * for the FTP login. 
-ssl  Optional switch to establish a secure connection (only Explicit-SSL is supported)

The sensor can be downloaded from http://prtgtoolsfamily.com/downloads/sensors

Created on May 5, 2015 12:46:52 PM

Votes:

Thanks but not sure how to set up..

do you have any more info or should I contact prtg support?

Created on May 5, 2015 1:31:19 PM

Votes:

Dear Antony

Is the ToolsFamiliy's program working for you?

Created on May 5, 2015 1:38:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Antony,

The FTPFileTime.exe needs to be copied to the 'Custom Sensors\EXE' folder of your PRTG installation.

Next you can add a new EXE/Script sensor, select the FTPFileTime.exe and fill in the parameters as described above.

Created on May 5, 2015 5:22:28 PM

Votes:

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late reply - busy days...

I gave the FTPFileTime.exe sensor a try and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for the help! :-)

Cheers

Created on May 12, 2015 8:17:23 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.