What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Generic and resizable status icon/shape?

Votes:

First let me begin by applauding PRTGs graph objects. The fact that I can remove all the text and resize them makes it possible to have total flexibility in where and how I embed them into dashboards and nobody else I've worked with offers such an adaptable graph style. A multi-graph that, for instance, pulled multiple interfaces into one graph would be a huge help as well, but I digress.

In keeping with that "clean and flexible" graph style, is there anyway to create a simple resizable circle that turns green/yellow/red?

Having an object like that would allow me to completely transform my dashboards and move beyond the subjective style of the current icon set by creating a map image and using the dynamic "dots" to represent status.

The closest things I can find is the "Status Only" status icons, but the little check mark isn't visable from a distance and isn't resizable. Also it has text that is confusing or irrelevant in some instances.

Thanks for reading.

dashboard icon prtg

Created on May 5, 2015 11:21:31 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Something like this?

<!--Custom Map Objects: StateCircle-->

<div class="map_object map_table map_icon_large" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:hidden;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
  <#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
  <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">

<#sensor type="colorclassofstate" id="<@objectid>" var="status">
  <#objectproperty type="nodename" id="<@objectid>" var="nodename">
  <#if value="@nodename" is="sensor" then="sensr" else="hasred" varexpand="value" var="containsred">
  <#if value="@nodename" is="sensor" then="sensy" else="hasyellow hasnored" varexpand="value" var="containsyellow">
  <#if value="@nodename" is="sensor" then="sensg" else="hasgreen hasnoyellow hasnored" varexpand="value" var="containsgreen">
  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
  version="1.0"
  width="100%"
  height="100%"
  viewBox="0 0 100 280">
    <use xlink:href="#a" />
    <g class="trafficlight" transform="translate(0,0)">
      <use xlink:href="#a" />
      <circle style="<#if value="@status" contains="@containsred" then="" else="opacity:0" varexpand="value,contains">" r="40" fill="#E6005F" cx="50" cy="50" />
      <circle style="<#if value="@status" contains="@containsyellow" then="" else="opacity:0" varexpand="value,contains">" r="40" fill="#F59C00" cx="50" cy="50" />
      <circle style="<#if value="@status" contains="@containsgreen" then="" else="opacity:0" varexpand="value,contains">" r="40" fill="#C0CC19" cx="50" cy="50" />
    </g>
  </svg>
  <div style="position:relative;margin-top:-20px">
    <#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
  </div>
</div>

Simply save it in your

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects

...directory, restart your core server and it will show up under Custom Map Objects. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with paused and acknowledged states and I don't know why :) Gotta ask the web developer about it. Bear with me, I'll update this tomorrow :)

Created on May 7, 2015 2:56:13 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 8, 2015 4:52:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is fantastic! Thanks!

I copied to the directory and re-started core. The object shows up and I can drag and assign, but no image actually appears yet.

Hopefully I'll have a few minutes later today to dig a little deeper and find out what's up.

This will be huge!!! Thanks again!

Created on May 7, 2015 4:42:38 PM

Votes:

I couldn't wait and played with it a bit more...

It works! For sensor level it seems to work perfectly. However when I drag it over a device or group, that it when it doesn't appear.

If it can be made to work with device level and/or groups that would be icing on the cake!

It looks like a fairly simple construct. Perhaps by adding some more #if statements I can get it working with devices/groups.

This is a huge help, thank you so much!

If this gets developed/debugged a bit, it should be included with the release... it will be very useful!

Created on May 7, 2015 5:21:45 PM

Votes:

Glad you like it :) On my installation, it works for all objects - groups, devices and sensors. Can you try again with the updated code from my post?

Created on May 8, 2015 4:53:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.