What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error: Could not identify port number

Votes:

I have different Cisco switches (Catalyst, Nexus) configured and working mostly, but for some (random) interfaces SNMP Traffic sensor returns error "Could not identify port number". PRTG version 15.2.16.2229+ . Is there a way to fix this?

error error-messages snmp-traffic

Created on May 6, 2015 4:17:39 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
have you set the automatic port name update for these devices?
Best regards

Created on May 8, 2015 1:05:53 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

yes (but I have tried manual ("keep names..") also without success), currently:

Port Name Update:Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device Port Identification:Automatic (recommended) Start and end port = 0

Created on May 8, 2015 3:58:50 PM

Votes:

Hi,
do the said ports have unique identifiers such as ifAlias or ifName? If so, have you tried using one of them explicitly?
Best regards

Created on May 11, 2015 1:35:27 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi,

it turns out that, if device configuration contains in Description string "->" (minus and greater_than), then sometimes it breaks something inside PRTG (but in most cases not)

Created on May 11, 2015 2:56:06 PM

Votes:

to be precise, previous response was relevant to Catalyst only, for Nexus it (PRTG) seems to not like symbol "/" (slash) in Description of port configuration.

Created on May 11, 2015 3:42:32 PM

Votes:

Hi,
Thank you for investigating. Please allow me to forward your findings to our testing team to reproduce the issue. I will get back to you as soon as we know more here.
Best regards

Created on May 12, 2015 6:34:36 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,
Just an update for you. Our testing team has identified the issue which is a bug indeed. A development ticket has been opened and a fix should be available with an upcoming version.
As a workaround, please do not use ifDescriptions with said symbols.
Best regards

Created on May 12, 2015 1:14:07 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In which Version should that bug fixed? We cannot change or touch on some Routers the description.

Created on Jun 3, 2015 1:19:01 PM

Votes:

Hi,
the bugfix is included in the next stable version. Release is scheduled for some time next week. Best regards

Created on Jun 3, 2015 2:05:56 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.