What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Custom String Sensor, returned Value as Channel for Report

Votes:

Hello everybody!

I have several firewalls with custom snmp string sensors where I read the versions of the signatures (AV, IPS). This works as expected and it gives back the value of the version in the "last Message" section.

I now want to create a report showing only the device name and "last message" values of the sensors. But as far as I see there is no channel for it.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that?

Thanks in advance and best regards Pascal

custom-string report sensor snmp

Created on May 11, 2015 11:14:55 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Pascal,

the only way i figured out was with the API.

hth Martin

Created on May 11, 2015 1:36:44 PM

Votes:

Dear Pascal

The last message is not part of the historic data and cannot be used in reports.

Only numeric values can be part of the historic data. You can use the SNMP Custom String sensor setting Extract Number Using Regular Expression to convert the string into a number. This will create a new sensor channel showing that number (like any other sensor channel.)

Created on May 11, 2015 3:57:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi you two!

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try it out this week and let you know the results!

Pascal

Created on May 11, 2015 4:24:22 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.