What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I establish a CIM session with a remote computer using a non-Admin user?

Votes:

When using a custom sensor, I want to use PowerShell's CIM sessions to query information from a remote computer, but I do not want to require the Windows username/password combo to be an administrator for the remote system.

cimv2 custom-sensor prtg winrm

Created on May 14, 2015 3:36:31 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I have figured it out for Windows 2012 R2 (it may work on 2012):

1. Download PowerShellAccessControl Module from https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/PowerShellAccessControl-d3be7b83

2. Copy PowerShellAccessControl to C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

3. Open WMI Control MMC snapin. Grant 'WinRMRemoteWMIUsers__' Execute Methods, Enable Account, Remote Enable for Root and all sub namespaces.

4. To enable remote access to SCMANAGER database, run the following from an elevated command prompt: sc sdset SCMANAGER D:(A;;CCLCRPRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCRPRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCRPRC;;;SU)(A;;CCLCRPWPRC;;;SY)(A;;KA;;;BA)(A;;CC;;;AC)

5. Run in elevated PowerShell session (as SYSTEM, psexec -i -s Powershell.exe ):

1. Add ACE to service DACL to enable remote WMI over WinRM. Get-Service | Get-SecurityDescriptor | Add-AccessControlEntry -Principal "Authenticated Users" -ServiceAccessRights Start,Read -Apply -Force

Now you can use a Custom Sensor leveraging PowerShell Remoting (WinRM):

Custom Sensor settings

• Parameters: -RemoteHost:%host -Domain:%windowsdomain -Username:%windowsuser -Password:%windowspassword

• Security Context: Use windows credentials of parent device

Created on May 15, 2015 12:01:14 PM

Last change on May 15, 2015 12:01:14 PM

Votes:

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge! :)

Best,
Stephan

Created on May 19, 2015 11:35:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.