What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP sensor cannot be added ..

Votes:

Im trying to measure bandwidth usage (traffic in, Traffic out, Traffic total,) of 4 users.. Using an intermediate gateway to intercept traffic using PRTG Network Monitor.. I wish to get In out graph . I have server 2008r2 working as a software router with two interfaces with routing and remote access service enabled.. final gateway is Pfsense..

2008r2 software router is working fine.. I can use it as a gateway of other pcs and browse internet..

I have installed PRTG Network Monitor in that very same box 2008r2 software router . And trying to snmp traffic sensor.. As soon as i click on snmp traffic sensor, it will take around 2 minutes and says this error "Error Message Device does not support the uptime oid" .. No matter what I do.. I can't add SNMP traffic sensor..

Full error message is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y69orq5dqu80asl/prtgerror.png?dl=0

How to avoid this error and get successful traffic in, Traffic out, Traffic total, using above infrastructure ?

prtg snmp traffic

Created on May 17, 2015 4:08:12 PM

Last change on May 18, 2015 4:34:28 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Please do not wonder, I removed the first screenshot to hide the IP addresses of your internal network. Some Windows versions seem to not accept SNMP requests on the localhost address. Please try to create a new device with the IP address from the server in the device settings and try to add the sensor anew. Do also ensure that the IP address is listed in the "Accepted Hosts" settings of the SNMP service.

Best regards

Created on May 18, 2015 4:38:41 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Many thanks .. IT works..

Created on May 18, 2015 5:33:25 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.