What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Measure between two devices

Votes:

Hi! Can someone help me to find a way do measure between two devices and not only between the probe and a device? The scenario is that I have an application that complains that it looses the connection to an sql-database a few times during the night. We have no errors during the night in prtg regarding the servers involved (server A ander server B) and we have excluded backups and other jobs. From an monitoring perspective everything looks just fine.

So in this case I would like to understand the situation directly between two servers, server A and server B and not from the prtg view? Can this be done?

Regards /Magnus

devices directly measure

Created on May 18, 2015 6:00:12 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi.

The easiest way to do this would be running another probe on the application server and adding a sensor to the sql-database from that probe.

Other option would be to develop a custom sensor that could do a remote ping(or even SQL query) from the application server using for example Invoke-Command or PSsession within powershell or any other scripting/programming language.

Created on May 19, 2015 2:18:46 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Aug 11, 2015 5:15:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.