What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ORA-1017 error with Oracle SQL v2 Sensor

Votes:

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Oracle SQL v2 Sensor on a remote probe. First I created an oracle user who is binded to the active directory. I opened an console window via runas using the credentials of this user on a remote machine and was able to connect to the database via sqlplus by using just the slash "SQL>connect /". But when I set these credentials for the database host in PRTG Network Monitor I always get the ORA-1017 error ("ORA-01017: Benutzername/Kennwort ungültig; Anmeldung abgelehnt" in german mode). There is no oracle client software installed on the remote probe. I need help in further investigating the error or any advice how to solve. I double checked the username and passwort of the ad user I enterded in network monitor. Oracle Database Version is 11 xe but I also have to monitor 10g R2 dbs.

ora-1017 oracle-sql-sensor remote-probe v2

Created on May 19, 2015 1:41:01 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear FrankNFurter

Please go to the "Sensor System" folder and run "SQLv2.exe". You get a form in which you can enter the DB address, credentials and a query.

Are you getting a result using this way?

Created on May 20, 2015 4:54:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Mr Seifert,

I logged in on the probe host, started the SQLv2.exe, choose Oracle as database type, entered credentials and a query. The result was the same: ORA-1017. I tested it with this tool in many ways (Kerberos checked and unchecked, domain and username in upper and lowercase and so on). Also started the tool as a active directory user with credentials within the database. No success at all.

But I also have to say: The documentation either in PRTG and that one shipped with oracle is not clear to me. So if you have a step by step introduction, how to setup this, it would be great. This introduction should include the oracle part and should say something about os_authend_prefix and so on. It also should clarify, if Oracle Client Software has to be installed on the probe and if, how sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora have to be configured client and serverside.

In my case, there is no Oracle Client installed on the probe.

Do you have any further advice?

Regards

FrankNFurter

Created on May 21, 2015 9:36:05 AM

Votes:

Dear FrankNFurter

Since you contacted us via email as well, we will continue there.

Created on May 21, 2015 1:56:14 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey guys, I'm in the same problem. Have news about the solution for this problem?

Created on Mar 22, 2017 7:28:09 PM

Votes:

Dear lamorim

For analysis, please contact us via [email protected] and include

• A description of the error, including screenshots
  • The PRTG version you are using
  • The Oracle version you are using

Created on Mar 23, 2017 1:28:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.