What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom snmp readout does not show in the tree view

Votes:

All other sensors like numeric SNMP values show up the tree view below the green badge. How do I make a custom readout to show up there as well. I have a sensor that reurns a firmware release string like "5.2.200" and I'd love to have it there displayed , instead I need to dig into the sensor and look for a messages.

device-tree snmp snmp-sensor

Created on May 20, 2015 10:26:54 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Maciej,

I'm presuming that you're working with the SNMP Custom String Sensor.
The tree overview will only show the "Primary Channels" of a sensor. What you can do is the following:

1. Configure the extended processing of the sensor, use a regular expression to extract the numerical value (5.2.200).
  2. A new channel called "Extracted Value" will show up on the sensor containing that value (5.2.200). Configure that channel as the primary channel for the sensor. It will then be visible on the tree overview within PRTG.

Fore more details please see:
KB - SNMP Custom sensor Extract a part of the message and graph it

Created on May 22, 2015 2:25:43 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on May 22, 2015 2:33:31 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Maciej,

as far as I know, there is no way except the API.

bg Martin

Created on May 22, 2015 5:15:43 AM

Last change on May 22, 2015 2:07:21 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Maciej,

I'm presuming that you're working with the SNMP Custom String Sensor.
The tree overview will only show the "Primary Channels" of a sensor. What you can do is the following:

1. Configure the extended processing of the sensor, use a regular expression to extract the numerical value (5.2.200).
  2. A new channel called "Extracted Value" will show up on the sensor containing that value (5.2.200). Configure that channel as the primary channel for the sensor. It will then be visible on the tree overview within PRTG.

Fore more details please see:
KB - SNMP Custom sensor Extract a part of the message and graph it

Created on May 22, 2015 2:25:43 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on May 22, 2015 2:33:31 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.