What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring QLogic Fiber Switch Ports

Votes:

Hey all,

I have several QLogic fiber switches (mostly 5802V's). I've imported all the MIB's using the import utility but I don't seem to be able to monitor the "performance" of each port. QLogic has a Performance View tool for their Enterprise Fabric Suite so I know the data exists at the switch but I'd like to be able to consolidate all my performance history in PRTG like we do with all of our switching infrastructure already.

Would it be possible to add "native" support for the QLogic switch suite? I've searched around the KB and didn't see any articles referencing this specific request, only something regarding an HP StorageWorks unit where it was recommended to "check snmp settings". Other than specifying the SNMP string, there isn't much I can do on the QLogic switches.

Thank You!

fiber prtg snmp snmp-traffic

Created on May 20, 2015 2:03:29 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

It looks like those stats are not directly available through SNMP. I found an article however that shows how one might be able to get this data through SNMP.

Using Customer SNMP Sensors along with some Sensor Factory sensors should allow you to accomplish this goal but it does look a tad tedious. I've marked this as a feature request but you are the first to request this so it may take a long time if it happens at all since it all depends on how many of our customers want this feature.

Created on May 25, 2015 10:25:56 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greg, thanks for adding this to the feature request list. Hopefully the topic gets a bit more traction within the community considering it would bridge the gap with storage related switches (specifically fiber) that we see in PRTG. I'm going to run through the article to see how bad it is considering I have 8 of these devices for production and another 4 for development.

Created on May 26, 2015 11:58:05 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.