What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Rescan for new VM's using VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor

Votes:

I've got the VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor pointing towards our vCenter server so I can monitor the performance of all the VM's but everytime a new VM is provisioned I have to manually run the 'add sensor' and select the new VM from the list.

Is there a way of scheduling this process to run like when running Device Template Discovery process?

auto-discovery vcenter vmware

Created on May 20, 2015 2:41:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

If you select your vCenter server and go into settings, there should be an option in the Device Type, where you can select how often it should run auto discovery.

As default its set to Once, but you can just change it to Daily or Weekly.

Created on May 21, 2015 8:49:59 AM

Votes:

Hi Klaus,

I have tried this, however the auto-discover process does not find any new sensors or VM's to add.

I have even tried creating a new device and running a detailed auto-discover and it fails to even find the VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor.

It only seems to find three sensors: PING, SSL Security Check and HTTP.

The credentials for my vCenter are correct as I'm able to add the sensor manually and select the VM's.

Created on May 21, 2015 10:12:17 AM

Votes:

If you right click and ask it to run an auto discovery, does it then find them? I checked it to be sure myself, and mine found several of the newly created machines I had.

For the Sensor management I used Standard, the Reconmmended, and I asked it to do it hourly.

I use the Domain Admininistrator ask Windows login, and in vmware/Xenserver I use [email protected]

Created on May 21, 2015 12:12:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.