What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I am having an issue with the sensor factory status() function returning 0 for an offline probe

Votes:

I am having an issue with the sensor factory status() function returning 0 for an offline probe This is only the case when "Calculate the factory channels and use zero as source value" has been selected. Essentially "Calculate the factory channels and use zero as source value" is causing the status() function to always show probes as online. is this expected behavior? it is frustrating because it prevents me from using the function to ignore offline probes.

custom sensor-factory status

Created on May 21, 2015 2:16:56 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Can you please explain exactly how you are using the sensor factory sensor with your probe(s)?

Created on May 25, 2015 11:47:09 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have a channel that is 0 when it is working but I need the ability to get an alert when the channel fails min((Channel(10877,2)<1)/10000,(status(10877)<100)/10000)

Created on May 25, 2015 1:34:42 PM

Votes:

When you say offline probe, are you speaking about a sensor or a Remote Probe? The sensors cannot differentiate between when it's in an error status due to not being reachable and when it's in an error state for other reasons, the sensor will return a value of 10,000 when it's in an error state.

Created on May 26, 2015 2:43:41 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am referring to the sensor being in an error state. When I select "Calculate the factory channels and use zero as source value" which is required to get the formula to calculate when a sensor is down, the Status() also reports a 0 even though the sensor it is monitoring is in an error state.

Created on May 26, 2015 3:45:47 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately this is the only way for the zero as source value to function since when a sensor is in error the channel will not be calculated. There is no way for us to change this behavior without fundamentally changing the sensor.

Created on May 29, 2015 12:28:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

doesn't that make using the status sensor in a formula fairly pointless?

Created on May 29, 2015 1:32:00 PM

Votes:

Only when you are ignoring the status of the sensor. When the status isn't ignored and replaced with a 0 it can be useful.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 10:07:42 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.