What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I add custom channels to sFlow Custom Sensor

Votes:

In Top Protocols, the majority of our traffic is "OtherTCP". Unfortunately, we know that we can break this out further as we have some offsite backups and such that use custom ports. Is it possible to add custom protocols/channels so that we can break these down further rather than having everything undefined as "Other"?

Thanks, Matt

custom-channel custom-sensor sflow

Created on May 21, 2015 7:16:01 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Stanmat,

Please have a look here for a list of links which will help you to create your own channels.

Best regards

Created on May 22, 2015 5:13:19 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Felix,

Thanks for the response. I'm a little confused regarding what needs to be done to ensure that the custom flow rules are utilized. I have added them into "CustomFlowRules.osr" (the linked document doesn't say anything about overwriting "FlowRules.osr", I have added them to "FlowRules.osr", and have restarted the "PRTG Core Server Service", but I'm not having any luck getting the new rules to show when I look at the "Top Protocols" view.

Here are the rules I'm testing, which I've added above the other groups in the XML format:

<group id="3010" name="SampleProt">
    <caption>SampleProt</caption>
    <help>SampleProt</help>
    <defaultvalue>1</defaultvalue>
    <channels>
      <channel id="1026" name="SampleProt">
        <rule>
           (Protocol[TCP] or Protocol[UDP]) and (DestinationPort[8006] OR SourcePort[8006])
        </rule>
      </channel>
    </channels>
  </group>
  <group id="3011" name="Poptart">
    <caption>Poptart</caption>
    <help>Poptart</help>
    <defaultvalue>1</defaultvalue>
    <channels>
      <channel id="1027" name="Poptart">
        <rule>
           (Protocol[TCP] or Protocol[UDP]) and (DestinationPort[4115] OR SourcePort[4115])
        </rule>
      </channel>
    </channels>
  </group>

I don't see any formatting problems or duplicate IDs, so I'm stumped as to why I cannot see the new channels.

Thanks, Matt

Created on May 22, 2015 3:28:48 PM

Votes:

I apologize, please ignore my previous reply. Our current sFlow sensor was not set to 'Custom', therefore it wasn't working. I have created a new sFlow (Custom) sensor and the custom channels are working as-intended. Thank you Felix.

Created on May 22, 2015 3:53:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.