What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependencies

Votes:

I've read the manual sections on Dependencies, and have decided that I should reorganize my PRTG configuration with them in mind.

It is a simple home network, but when I enter a dependency, the system doesn't cancel the master dependency. As an example, please see: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rw4f8156sd37581/PTRG_Dependencies.pdf

Could someone please explain how I reconfigure so I get to choose the dependency, or alternately, what am I doing wrong entering the dependency information?

Thank you. Gord

dependency other prtg

Created on May 23, 2015 7:01:50 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Can you go to the device settings of the Vianet Router and under Schedules And Dependencies, remove the ping from the Zing gateway. I'd put the gateway out of the ViaNet group and then make the group depend on the ping sensor of the gateway. That's the cleanest solution, dependency wise :)

Created on May 27, 2015 6:06:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan;

I understand your suggestion, but I'm not sure how it will scale up.

For example, when the router has a number of devices behind it (same IP address, but port forwarding is used), then do I place the Router in it's own Group too?

Created on May 28, 2015 2:12:43 PM

Votes:

What I did not understand in your reply, was that Groups can be nested.

So I now have a Group for the Gateway, which includes a group for the router, which includes a group for the servers. I also had to remove all the dependencies that I had previously (mistakenly) added.

Your solution works. Thank You!

Created on May 28, 2015 5:26:59 PM

Votes:

Glad to hear that - happy nesting! :D

Created on May 28, 2015 5:51:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.