What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ability to poll through Amzon EC2 proxy?

Votes:

Hi there I have a Amazon EC2 Linux image running , that accepts SSH tunnels from various Raspberry Pi's and OpenWRT devices (using autossh). So I can login to the EC2 image and SSH back to the devices-these are my "emergency" tunnels should the devices not be reachable.Currently I monitor them through their VPN tunnel that also runs (Neorouter), using PRTG. Question-is there a way to point PRTG at the EC2 image, and monitor the devices through it? As some sort of proxy? In case Neorouter fails/service stops (which it does sometimes).

cheers

cabs

amazon openwrt raspberry-pi ssh

Created on May 27, 2015 11:13:45 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Cabs,

is your shh connection always available or only if the vpn connection is disconnected?

Created on May 28, 2015 4:47:51 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Hi Thanks for the reply Yes-the ssh connection is always up on the EC2 instance-as soon as the devices come online, they "call back home" to the EC2 using the ssh tunnel outbound. So if I hop on the EC2 instance, I can then ssh back in to the devices (my backdoor). So my thought was, as well as polling the devices on the neorouter IP, could I also poll through the EC2, along the SSH tunnel?

cabs

Created on May 29, 2015 12:33:25 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the issue is not quite clear to us. Could you please specify your question in few more details? Is you PRTG server running within a Amazon EC2? Which devices would you like to monitor using ssh? Would you like to execute a script if the neorouter fails?

Created on Jun 1, 2015 3:22:37 PM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.