What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it a bug in factory sensor, not able to use the Warning level.

Votes:

Using stable version 15.2.16.2230 settings up a new factory sensor and having two sensors:

#1:disk_free_C_percent
Channel(11306,5)
#2:disk_free_D_percent
Channel(11306,7)

The #1 sensor/channel is in error state (limit on both source channel and inside the factory channel is set to below 10%), but the #2 sensor is not in error or warning.

Even if I set the error Handling to:

"Factory sensor shows warning status when one or more source sensors are in error status"

the factory sensor gets the state=error.

Anybody else get this? I have also tested another sensor and channel but still the same issue.

aggregate factory-sensor sensor-factory

Created on May 28, 2015 3:12:55 PM

Last change on May 28, 2015 7:28:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

If a lookup definition or an error limit triggers the error status of the source sensor, the Sensor Factory will not show a Warning status. This is because the Sensor Factory should only show this status if it cannot calculate values.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 6:11:08 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Hello Jochen,

Hmm, okay but then I don't really understand the logic behind the factory sensor...

Then I should suggest you should add the possibility to show "Warning" also for multiple error limit sensors, also for multiple warning sensors. It should be configured via custom formula or the like..

It would be very handy to be able to do this in factory sensor:

Error handling

• "Factory sensor shows error status when one or more source sensors are in error status"
  • "Factory sensor shows warning status when one or more source sensors are in error status"
  • "Factory sensor shows error status when one or more source sensors are in warning status"
  • "Factory sensor shows warning status when one or more source sensors are in warning status"

Custom Formula, there you should be able to define warning status as well not just error status. If you could add also a status of 5000 (warning) instead of just 0 and 10000.

My use case is this:

Setup factory channels with defined error/warning limits (for instance disk free limit or cpu limits)

Then define an error handling like this:

if channel1=warning AND channel2=warning then sensor factory status=warning
If channel1=error AND channel2=warning then sensor factory status=warning (or error)

Then it would be VERY useful to produce very intelligent factory sensors with more business case like warning and errors.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 8:39:36 AM

Last change on Jul 22, 2015 5:34:08 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello

I´m afraid, the sensor factory sensor can not handle warning and error limits of the source sensor to show a warning if the source sensor is in warning state and show a error if the source sensor is in error state. If you would like to display a error state if at least one of the source sensors are in error state by an error limit trigger you can use the following custom formula in the error handling section:

status(1001) OR status(1002)

Created on Jun 2, 2015 8:51:16 AM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.