What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Undeleting objects

Votes:

Been running this software for a little over a month now. This is the 3rd time I have accidentally deleted entire objects when I thought I was just deleting sensors.

In the management screen I highlighted a few sensors using the ctrl key to select more than one, went to delete them, and yet the entire objects themselves disappear.

I'm not sure what can be done to make it more obvious what is actually being deleted, but having the ability to undelete an object or even a sensor, and retain it's history would be a huge huge help.

The autobackup is nice, but I'm now going to lose 10 hours of data, and possibly a custom map I've spent 3 hours designing, and the 2 hours I spent renaming sensors... That stinks.

delete object recover

Created on May 29, 2015 5:35:41 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear dreniarb

If you mark only sensors, only sensors are deleted.

We still would like to offer an undelete function. However, this is not as easy implemented, because objects can have dependencies or references to other objects. It is not always enough to just restore the deleted object, because the changed references could have unforeseeable side effects.

The current solution is to manually create a configuration backup (Setup / System Administration / Administrative Tools) before greater changes are made.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 9:40:56 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, that's the behavior I would expect too. I thought perhaps i had some sensors AND objects highlighted in the management screen but I find that I'm not able to highlight both at the same time, which is great. So I'm not exactly sure what happened. All I know is I highlighted multiple sensors, clicked the delete icon, and once I confirmed the deletion I had about 4 entire objects deleted. If it wasn't the 3rd time this has happened to me I would say I was for sure doing something wrong, I still could be, I just have no clue what that is. I will be paying much closer attention from now on. Creating a backup before deleting stuff is something I will start doing.

I can understand the difficulties and problems undeleting could bring. Maybe a short lived undelete feature? Like 5-10 minutes or so? Just throwing that out there.

Still an awesome program. Thanks.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 11:24:12 AM

Votes:

While we still have such feature on our radar, please don't expect a solution in the foreseeable future. A short-lived undelete feature would not guarantee to circumvent certain issues, but it adds to the complexity of understanding the user interface ("why can I undelete within 10 minutes, but not within 15 minutes?")

Even an "undo last action" feature can lead to certain issues.

For now, our advise is to be careful when deleting and to manually create a configuration backup before greater changes are performed.

Created on Jun 1, 2015 12:28:18 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.