What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DRAC6 IPMI not working with firmware 1.98

Votes:

Since updating to the current Dell iDRAC firmware I cannot get the PRTG ipmi sensor to connect. My other tools that access IPMI on the servers are still working so I am guessing this is a compatibility issue with the utility used by prtg. I am guessing this directly relates to dell removing ipmi 1.5 and only supporting 2.0 in its current firmware's. is this a known issue?

dell idrac ipmi

Created on Jun 2, 2015 5:41:57 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found the fix for this issue.
Just add "-F lan2" to the user name. E.g.:

root -F lan2

Created on Dec 18, 2015 2:48:22 PM

Last change on Dec 18, 2015 3:19:18 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

9 Replies

Votes:

This is something that we can try and test here. I'll let you know what we find out.

Created on Jun 4, 2015 12:18:22 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was able to test this here with a Dell Server running version 1.97 Firmware and IMPI 2.0 and was able to read Fan Speed, Temperature, Voltage and the Power Supply status so it's definitely not a bug with the sensor. When creating the sensor have you made sure that all of the requirements are met and that the credentials entered are correct? Have you also tried re-creating the sensor? If all of this is failing, can you please tell us specifically what error you get when creating the sensor?

Created on Jun 9, 2015 7:29:41 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I went ahead and tested with the tool you use to gather the data ipmiutil ver 2.91 isensor: version 2.91 Opening lan connection to node ServerName Connecting to node 192.168.11.11 ipmilan_open_session error, rv = -3 ipmilan receive from BMC failed ipmi_open error = -3 ipmiutil sensor, receive from BMC failed

I also tested with the correct version of the tool 2.96 and I get the same results. I have verified this behavior across several properly configured servers. I can successfully connect to each of these systems with the dell ipmi tool so I know they are setup correctly. I can also confirm this is an issue with the latest firmware for the drac 7 & 8 cards. I assume it is because of Dell removing compatibility with ipmi 1.5 https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/BLUU-9RDQHM "therefore support for the IPMI 1.5 version of the protocol has been permanently removed" This appears to be a violation of the IPMIv2.0 standard, which I assume is what is causing the tool to stop working. Is there a chance that you will update the tool to handle this or am I stuck waiting for someone to update the project?

Created on Jun 9, 2015 2:53:48 PM

Votes:

I was able to verify this as well and will talk with the developer about what we can do on our end. I will post here as soon as I know more.

Created on Jun 10, 2015 10:48:08 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

At the moment, there aren't enough people with this issue to justify us completely re-writing the sensor. If we see more people with this issue then we will consider changing the sensor to use another utility or re-write the existing one.

Created on Jun 11, 2015 3:22:17 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found the fix for this issue.
Just add "-F lan2" to the user name. E.g.:

root -F lan2

Created on Dec 18, 2015 2:48:22 PM

Last change on Dec 18, 2015 3:19:18 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks for adding this to the KB droorda! I've tested this out in our environment and it works for us as well. Apparently this forces the ipmiutil to load the lan2 driver thereby forcing it to only use impi v.2. More can be read about the switches in the man page for the utility.

Created on Dec 21, 2015 9:14:53 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

oh WOW! this also helped me too w prtg v18 and a supermicro system, prtg was working fine until i changed the sm's ipmi admin account to a non default password (ie until i secured it). i kept getting wrong password from prtg.

add this made it work!! so in my case i input into prtg (when it asks for the IPMI creds):

ADMIN root -F lan2

(then my secure password)

and it finally works!! thank you so much for coming back here and updating the answer! (i had emailed prtg support also)

Created on Sep 25, 2018 5:12:10 AM

Last change on Sep 25, 2018 5:12:10 AM

Votes:

I would like to correct that for supermicro, you don't need "root", username is only ADMIN -F lan2

Without this flag i had this error:

... GetSessChallenge: Invalid data field in request ipmilan_open_session error, rv = 0xcc ipmilan Invalid data field in request ipmi_open rc = 204 type = lan Driver type lan, open rc = 204 ipmi_open error = 204 ... ipmiutil health, Invalid data field in request

Created on Oct 14, 2019 12:34:00 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.