What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Oracle SQL v2 Beta Timeout (code: PE018)

Votes:

Hello,

We have a large numer (30+) of Oracle SQL v2 Beta sensors. Most of them perform very well. A few of the queries against the target database are quite complex and take a few seconds to return a result. It appears that if this is longer than about 5 seconds, the sensor throws a "Timeout (code: PE018)" error.

It is quite normal for some of these queries to take a long time to return a result (5 or even 10 seconds), so we need some way of extending the timeout on these particular sensors.

I have noticed that the Oracle SQL sensor (not the v2 Beta version) as well as the Custom ssh / exe / script sensors all have a timeout setting which can be increased: if the script takes longer than this to return a result, then return an error.

However there appears to be no such setting for Oracle SQL v2 Beta sensors. Is there any way that I can change this timeout setting "behind the scenes" maybe?

I guess another way would be to run the SQL via Powershell and add a custom Powershell sensor instead, but I'd rather find an easier way.

Any information greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Tom

oracle-sql-sensor pe018 prtg sql timeout

Created on Jun 3, 2015 10:29:14 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Tom

The command timeout should also be set by this field. If you experience timeouts with the v2 sensor, please let me know.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 10:35:42 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

15 Replies

Votes:

Dear twills

We will offer a more lenient timeout handling in a future version of PRTG. The upcoming PRTG 15.2.17 will contain some improvements. Please update when it is public, which could be next week.

Created on Jun 4, 2015 1:35:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great news, I will look out for the update

Thanks,

Tom

Created on Jun 4, 2015 1:37:01 PM

Votes:

Did this more lenient timeout make it into this update? I am still seeing the same issue.

Created on Jun 15, 2015 4:10:53 PM

Votes:

Some parts of the changes are part of the "18" branch. Please contact [email protected] (you can mention me) for special version of the sensor to see if that fixes the issue.

Created on Jun 16, 2015 11:18:07 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, I am still on version 15.2.17.2636 so not yet able to make any changes.

However I have in the meantime moved a couple of particularly slow queries to use the Oracle SQL sensor (not v2 Beta) as this has a timeout setting. This has temporarily resolved the issue for us, but we will try with the new sensor settings when they are available

I am in no rush at the moment and our monitoring is stable so happy to wait for the changes in the stable release

Tom

Created on Jun 16, 2015 12:41:38 PM

Votes:

I do have the same problem on the Oracle Tablespace Beta. Currently running on Version 16.1.22.2012 successfully installed.

Is there a new and better version of this sensor available?

Created on Mar 4, 2016 9:16:30 AM

Votes:

Dear jlieben

Which timeout did you set in the device settings? (Section "Credentials for Database Management Systems")

Created on Mar 4, 2016 12:37:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We tried different time out from 1 minute to 5 minutes. Also the interval has been changed from 1 minute to 5 and even 30 minutes. All with same result. Strange thing is that the problem happens for only a small percentage of the sensors (we have 2400+ oracle tablespaces).

Created on Apr 8, 2016 6:28:59 PM

Votes:

Hi,

This is going to become a bigger problem now that you are retiring the Oracle SQL sensor. We have between 5 and 10 sensors using the "old" Oracle type SQL sensor because the queries take over 5 seconds and this sensor has a timeout setting which is configurable.

Oracle v2 SQL sensor still has no such configuration available, so once we upgrade, some of our sensors will fail. Please can you advise if a timeout setting is going to be made available in the Oracle v2 SQL sensor, as this will dictate whether we upgrade or not.

Many thanks, Tom

Created on Apr 11, 2016 9:27:03 AM

Votes:

Dear Tom, dear jlieben

The SQL v2 sensor timeout is set by the device setting, "Credentials for Database Management System". The sensor developer just checked it. Are you using the latest PRTG version? How long does the query take to get you a timeout error, is it still estimated to be just over five seconds?

Created on Apr 12, 2016 9:41:26 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 12, 2016 9:42:18 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Thanks for your response. I may be mistaken, but I think the "Timeout" setting in the "Credentials for Database Management System" section is a login timeout, i.e. how long will the sensor try to log in to the database before an error is reported.

What we need (and what is available in the "old" Oracle SQL sensor), is a timeout setting for the SQL execution itself.

When we first tried to use the Oracle SQL v2 sensor, SQL statements taking longer than 5 seconds to execute would be reported in error by PRTG, even though the SQL would complete OK (see original post to this thread). Now that Paessler are retiring the Oracle SQL sensor, we need to be confident that we can migrate SQL queries to v2 which take longer.

Having said all this, it does appear to be more lenient (we havent had any timeouts yet, and we are beginning to migrate sensors from Oracle SQL to Oracle SQL v2), so maybe this has been fixed?

Thanks, Tom

Created on Apr 12, 2016 1:56:39 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Tom

The command timeout should also be set by this field. If you experience timeouts with the v2 sensor, please let me know.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 10:35:42 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks! We'll let you know if we find any timeouts

Tom

Created on Apr 13, 2016 11:04:19 AM

Votes:

By changing the sensor check interval, is it possible to resolve this "Timeout (PE018)" alert?

Created on Feb 11, 2021 12:58:09 PM

Votes:

Hello,

the PE018 error is a quite generic error, that an executable (this sensor uses an executable. SQLv2.exe) did not return a result in time. Normally this is caused by long execution times.

Please go to your PRTG installation directory and open the "Sensor System" subfolder. (Usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System")

Now start the SQLv2.exe and a window will show that offers the same settings as the sensor. It is less comfortable and does not do any checks on the values you enter. Enter your server information and the SQL query.

You you get the expected result table in reasonable time?

Created on Feb 11, 2021 8:40:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.