What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Factory substract of values

Votes:

good morning, I need to create a sensor factory once a week take the maximum value of the previous week and subtract this value to the current. I have a factory sensor which adds the value of drops of 4 interfaces. Once a week, i want this account to 0 to see what increases in a week. But the switches do not allow put these values reset to 0, therefore i pretend that the sensor is set to 0 once a week. The best solution I've found is this:

1. 1:Agregacion trafico IN [Drops] ((channel (10479,0) + channel (10480,0) + channel (10481,0) + channel (10482,0)) -357).

Where 357 is the value of last week. There are a better way? Can the sensor itself calculate or get the most value of last week and subtract? Thanks.

drops sensor-factory substract

Created on Jun 3, 2015 10:37:22 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Ana

A sensor cannot perform comparisons relative to earlier historic data. The manual solution you use is the easiest solution.

As a more elaborate solution, you could write a custom sensor which uses the PRTG API to read the historic data of other sensors and automatically performs the necessary calculations. However, this puts some load on the PRTG core server, since API calls are not cheap performance-wise.

Created on Jun 4, 2015 11:42:36 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.